All right my favorite people, I am not going to lie, these made my belly so happy! Drum roll, Air Fryer Onion Rings!
But there is the best part, they are GLUTEN FREE and PALEO!! Say what?? I promise this isn’t a joke!
I told myself I would only have a few of these air fried onion rings because I had been recipe testing all day and I didn’t need any more calories.
Well I failed miserably! I think I ate half the bowl. It has been a long time since I had onion rings because finding them gluten free is next to impossible.
Plus I do not like to eat a lot of fried foods. My aging waistline is not cooperating with my “20” year old brain! HeeHee 🙂
Step by step instructions
- Mix together cassava flour, salt, sugar, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together, coconut milk, egg, and yellow mustard (trust me on this one). This is your “wet” mixture.
- Slice onions into rings. Place onion rings in the “wet” mixture and mix until they are all coated.
- Place a few onion rings into the flour and make sure you coat them really well.
- Put the onions rings in the air fryer and spray with a spray oil.
- Air fry at 325 degrees for 11-12 minutes. You will have awesome gluten free, paleo air fryer onions rings!
Tips for success
- Make sure you really mix the flour mixture. You want to evenly distribute those flavors.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer. It is ok to overlap some, but it took me about 3 batches to get them all done. (I was making for a crowd.)
- Remember, this is done in an air fryer. Only the spray oil is used. These will crisp up but not as crunchy as a traditional deep fried onion ring. I am not a miracle worker! 🙂 Your waistline will thank me.
- Reheating leftovers: Place the air fryer onion rings on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place them in a toaster oven. Hit the toast button and they will crisp up nice.
I like to use a large capacity air fryer. You can fit more food in it at one time and saves me some precious minutes. You can click the link to see the one I have.
I hope you have enjoyed this Air Fryer Onion Ring recipe. Please leave me a comment below if you have tried the recipe.
Check out some of my other appetizer/side dishes:
Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe
- Air fryer
- 3 large Sweet onions
- 1/3 cup Coconut milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoon Yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup Cassava flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a bowl, mix the cassava flour, salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika together and set aside.
- In a different bowl mix the coconut milk, egg, and yellow mustard together and set aside.
- Slice the onions in rings. Place the sliced onion rings in the coconut milk mixture and coat them well.
- In small batches place the onions brings into the flour mixture and then place into the air fryer basket. Spray the oil over the onion rings.
- Place air fryer on 325 degrees for 11-12 minutes. Repeat until all the onions are air fried.
- Make sure you do not crowd the air fryer basket. You want to make sure you get the onion rings nice and crispy.
- The onion rings will reheat in the toaster oven nicely. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Hit the toaster setting and they will crisp up.