Fluffy eggs, fresh flavors and veggies, cheese, and smokey sausage. What is there not to love about this classic Egg Casserole.
Simple, quick, delicious, and easy all the perfect adjectives to describe my favorite kind of recipe!!
You can make this ahead of time for those special mornings or whip it together and pop in the oven. It truly is such a versatile dish!
So many ways to make this delicious gluten free egg casserole. You can make this with or without meat and with different veggie combinations.
We have tried this with bacon, ham and sausage. All options equally divine! I love this with roasted red peppers and spring onions and of course cheesy goodness. Green and red peppers would also be wonderful. I like to use a combo of both! We like lots of flavors in this house!
We top this with fresh salsa and a dollop of sour cream and it truly is a perfect Egg Casserole.
Need a DAIRY FREE OPTION? CHECK OUT THE TIPS FOR SUCCESS SECTION.
I love when you can make a fabulous gluten free breakfast egg dish and it takes next to no effort but tastes amazing! The fam thinks I am awesome and we have breakfast for the weekend!
With a few simple ingredients and everyday spices you can have this on the table in no time flat.
This dish reheats perfectly so leftovers are a cinch and great for even the busiest of weekday mornings.
Step by step instructions
- In a skillet on medium heat, brown sausage until you do not see pink. Place paper towels in a bowl and place cooked sausage on top. This helps to absorb any grease.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray
- Chop your green onions and set aside.
- Next chop your roasted red peppers and set aside with the spring onions.
- Place eggs in the baking dish.
- Add the milk and whisk together.
- Add sausage, spices, cheese, and veggies and mix together in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. You will have a perfect gluten free egg casserole every single time!
Tips for success
- DAIRY FREE OPTION: Use coconut milk instead of cream. In place of the shredded cheese, you a dairy free alternative.
- You can substitute ham or bacon for the sausage in this recipe.
- I have also done goat cheese instead of sharp cheddar cheese. You can add your families favorite cheese.
- You can also add sweet potatoes, hash browns to the egg casserole if you are looking to add a carb to the dish.
- My family likes more meat, veggies, and cheese in each bite than egg. You can increase the egg count if you want more of an “eggy” casserole. Just increase your cooking time. The center of your dish should be cooked all the way through.
- I also make this the night before and place in the fridge. Pull the dish out 30 minutes before you bake and breakfast is served!
My favorite grocery store eggs are Pete and Gerry eggs. They are amazing. You can go to their site and get a coupon. Try them out! I love their mission.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can freeze this dish. Cut into singe serving pieces. Wrap Egg Casserole in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. I then store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Remove individual pieces from freezer and place on a microwave safe plate and reheat.
Reheat fridge leftovers in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
I hope you enjoyed this yummy gluten free egg casserole. If you have tried this recipe please leave a comment below.
Check out some of my other breakfast dishes:
Egg Casserole Recipe
- Baking dish
- 8 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Half and Half (coconut milk for diary free)
- 1 1/2 pounds Breakfast sausage
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese (substitute with dairy free option)
- 3 tablespoons Chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons Chopped spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet on medium heat cook your breakfast sausage until there is no pink and throughly cooked. Line a bowl with paper towels and place the cooked sausage in the bowl to absorb any grease. Set aside to cool.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Crack 8 eggs and place in the baking dish. Add the half and half and whisk together.
- Chop the green onions and roasted red peppers into small pieces.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, green onions, roasted red peppers, cheese, and cooled sausage into the baking dish and whisk all together.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve nice and warm.