Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie is a delicious and warm comfort food that just soothes the soul.
A flakey crust stuffed with veggies and tender, juicy chicken, fresh herbs and simple ingredients make this double crusted pot pie a must make meal!
In between those beautiful gluten free pie crusts is a traditional mixture of corn, carrots, peas, and chicken. Then we add fresh rosemary and thyme, a creamy sauce and cooked to a golden perfection.
I never knew how quick, simple and easy it was to throw a pot pie together. Seriously, on the table in no time flat. But oh my, it is delicious and just makes you oh so happy!
Weeknight or the weekend, this one is a keeper in your nighttime dinner or lunch rotation. 100% kid tested and approved!
When we moved back to GA, a dear sweet friend made a version of this for my family and we went crazy! I knew I just had to recreate a chicken pot pie and share with my gluten free peeps!
Chicken breast, chicken thighs, rotisserie chicken and even turkey make great protein options. You can even make this vegetarian if you would like and just add extra veggies. So if you are looking for a Gluten Free Veggie Pot Pie check out the tips section for subsitutions.
You can easily prep some of this before work, so when you get home it is a quick dump and bake kind of meal. I use store bought gluten free pie crusts to make this even easier!
I also made a lower carb version for myself, so if you are watching your carbs I got you covered too! Check out the Tips section for suggestions.
Step by step instructions
- Pre-heat oven and take the frozen veggie pack out of the freezer. Let it thaw to absorb some of the excess liquid. (see the tips sections on suggestions)
- Cut your chicken into small pieces, season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme.
- Place cream of chicken condensed soup, cream of mushroom condensed soup, marsala, and frozen veggies into the bowl. Mix well!
- Take one of the pre-made frozen pie crusts and fill the pie crust with the meat and veggies. Leave about a cup and a half of the mixture out for the lower carb version.
- Place the other pie crust on top and make a slit so the gluten free chicken pot pie can release steam.
- After it has been in the oven for 5-10 minutes, open the oven door and really seal the 2 pie crusts together.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
Tips for baking a gluten free pot pie
- Wholly Wholesome makes the best gluten free pie crust shells. Very allergy friendly! They come 2 in a pack and perfect for this gluten free chicken pot pie. You can find them in the freezer section in most chain grocery stores. Click here to see if you they have one near you. Just enter your zip code.
- Lower Carb Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie – Simple, Take a cup and a half of the chicken and veggie mixture and put in an oven safe dish. Place along side your chicken pot pie (see pictures above), it’s just that easy!
- Gluten Free Vegetarian Pot Pie – Instead of the chicken just add 24 ounces of frozen veggies to the bowl. You can totally pick your veggie of choice!
- I like to line a bowl with paper towels and let the veggies defrost. This will absorb some of the liquid so you don’t have a runny chicken pot pie. Just dump the veggies into the pot. I will do this if the veggies have a lot of ice around them or in the bag. This is not necessary, just something I like to do.
- Make sure you remove the pie crust from the freezer for about 5-10 before you use it. DO NOT let it get to room temp, it is harder to flip the other pie crust on top. It is easier to remove from the packaging when it is still frozen.
- About 5 -10 minutes after the chicken pot pie goes into the oven, you will be able to seal the edges because they will have become soft. This helps to make sure all your yummy creamy, chicken, veggie goodness stays in your pot pie.
- If your crust is not as golden brown (as you would like) after it is finished cooking, place the oven on broil and let it crisp up. WATCH THE ENTIRE TIME because you do not want it to burn. Only takes a minute or 2.
- If your crust looks too brown, place a piece of parchment paper over the top, this will help. All ovens vary!
Ingredients for a gluten free chicken pot pie
Below are the ingredients that I like to use to make this as healthy as possible.
- Add staple pantry spices: salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme just add another level of depth and freshness to your dish.
- I prefer to use chicken thighs because the chicken just gets so tender and juicy. If you prefer chicken breasts just switch them out.
- If you are having a busy night a shredded rotisserie chicken or left over chicken also works. Have turkey or ham leftovers from a holiday meal? That is perfect also!
- The marsala is optional but I just LOVE the taste. The alcohol does cook out.
Here are good tips on storing and refreezing gluten free chicken pot pie
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Oven: Reheat in oven at 350 degrees for about 5-8 minutes or until it is nice and warm all the way through.
Microwave: Place Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie on a microwave safe plate and reheat for 60-90 seconds or until it is nice and warm all the way through.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please leave a comment and review below if you have made this dish!
Please check out some other easy, gluten free meals:
Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Baking sheet
- 2 Frozen pie crusts
- 1.5 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken thighs trim excess fat
- 16 ounces Frozen mixed veggies
- 12 ounces Cream of mushroom soup gluten free
- 12 ounces Cream of chicken soup gluten free
- 3 tablespoons Marsala wine optional
- 1 tablespoon Fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt divided
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper divided
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder divided
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place raw chicken on parchment paper and trim excess fat. Slice into 1 inch cubes and place in a big bowl. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme on top of the chicken.
- Place defrosted frozen veggies in the bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add the box of cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and marsala to the bowl and mix well.
- Place 1 pie crust on the baking sheet and fill with the chicken and veggie filling. (Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of the filling for the lower carb version and place in an oven safe dish). Place the other pie crust on top and carefully put a slit at the top.
- After 5-10 minutes of baking, remove the pot pie from the oven and make sure the two pie crusts have been pinched together (see comments below)
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes.