Gluten Free Jalapeno Cornbread and Classic Gluten Free Cornbread all in one place! My gang was so excited when this came out of the oven.
A light, fluffy buttery homemade cornbread. Crispy golden edges and the perfect texture. Your search for homemade Gluten Free Cornbread is over!
We have missed this southern staple since going gluten free. This delicious bread is the perfect combination of sweet and savory! Bonus, it is so easy to make!
I have found that most store bought gluten free cornbreads are either too sweet or feel like dry, chalk in your mouth!
Not this one. Not too dense, not too sweet, but has a perfect balance. Light, fluffy, moist, and butter perfection. Those crispy edges get me every time. It is easy to be gluten free when you have options like this.
My son is the one that asked if I could create a jalapeno cheese cornbread recipe. He is the kid that would prefer steak and mushrooms over a PB&J 🙂 Seriously! Well this was a big hit!
No one even turns down a good cornbread. I love to make a Jalapeno Cheese cornbread but you can also make a classic one. Serve with butter and honey and it is pure heaven. Check out my section on how to make gluten free cornbread for the traditional style.
Need a DAIRY FREE cornbread recipe? Check out my Tips for Success on how to make this dairy free.
Alright let’s share this easy southern staple recipe!
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- (Skip this step if you want a regular cornbread. I made a jalapeno cheese cornbread.) Chop and remove the seeds from the jalapeno. Place ghee (butter) in a sauce pan and saute jalapeno’s for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix your dry ingredients first. This would be your gluten free 1:1 ratio flour, cornmeal, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a different bowl, place eggs, honey, melted ghee (butter), milk and mix together really well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together. Add the cheese and sautéed jalapeños to the mixture. (Skip this step if you are doing a traditional cornbread.)
- Grease your cast iron skillet and place the cornbread in the dish.
- Bake the gluten free jalapeno cheese cornbread at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Tips for success
- DAIRY FREE OPTION: You can substitute the milk with almond milk, coconut milk, flax milk, or oat milk. Instead of using butter you can use ghee or a vegan butter substitute.
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet you can also use a pie pan, 8 X 8 baking dish, or even a cake pan. I just love the presentation of the cast iron skillet. Just seems so perfect in it! 🙂
- Make sure your cornmeal package clearly states that it is gluten free. Arrowhead Mills is a great brand that I like to use. Most stores will carry cornmeal.
I am one of those people and prefer organic corn. If you are ever bored and need to fall asleep, here is a good article on why I choose to use organic corn products. Haha! The Arrowhead Mills is an organic cornmeal.
How to make classic gluten free cornbread
If Jalapeno Gluten Free Cornbread isn’t your thing and you prefer the regular, I completely understand and wanted to make sure you had that option. It is actually quite simple. Just leave out the cheddar cheese and jalapenos. Haha!
You can make it a little easier. I also love to make this in the food processor. You are going to use the exact same ingredients. Here’s how to make this so simple.
- Place your dry ingredients into the food processor. Pulse to mix everything.
- Then place the wet ingredients into the food processor.
- Blend everything until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Grease your cast iron skillet, pie pan, or cake pan with a little butter or olive oil and pour the cornbread batter into your pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Now go and slather that beautiful Classic Gluten Free Cornbread with honey and butter. The way us good southern folks like it! 🙂
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Microwave: Place gluten free cornbread on a microwave safe plate. Heat for 15-20 seconds or until it is warm all the way through.
Toaster Oven: Place cornbread on parchment paper and heat until it is nice warm all the way through. Take about 3 minutes.
I hope you like this Gluten Free Cornbread, please leave a comment if you have tried it!
Please check out some other appetizer/side dishes:
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet or Pie Plate or 8X 8 pan
- 1 cup Gluten free 1:1 ratio flour
- 1 cup Gluten free cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons ghee (butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapenos (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If you are not making a Jalapeno cornbread then skip this step. Chop and remove the seeds from the jalapeno. Place 1 tablespoon ghee (butter) in a skillet and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Place gluten free flour, cornmeal, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix together.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, honey, milk, and melted butter.
- Combine the two bowls and mix really well. (If you are making the jalapeno cheese cornbread add them now)
- Grease a cast iron skillet or pie pan with butter or olive oil. Pour batter into your preferred pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Make sure your center is done on your cornbread. Insert a knife in the center and it should come out nice and clean.
- Make sure your cornbread is marked gluten free, especially if you are Celiac!
- This cornbread is yummy with or without the jalapeno and cheese. This went perfectly with the chili we were having for dinner.