Would I be exaggerating when if I said, “This creamy, gluten free tomato soup will comfort your soul and you should drop all things and make it!”?
Probably, but this creamy gluten free tomato soup is going to totally knock your socks off!
With only 6 major ingredients, it’s an easy, healthy meal that you can get on your table in no time!
Soup is such an easy weeknight meal. I love to make soups like Instant Pot Veggie Soup and Instant Pot Chicken Soup, because it’s a great way to pack in some great protein and veggies while creating something yummy at the same time!
I tend to make extra so we can easily reheat it later in the week for a few lunches or dinners. Leftovers, ahhh the magic word!
The oven and stove do most of the work, which is a perfect time to pair this creamy soup with our favorite grilled cheese sandwich or roasted garlic bread.
I mean, who doesn’t love to dunk grilled cheese or breads into a bowl of warm deliciousness!!
Trust me, it only takes just a few ingredients and less than an hour to have a wonderful homemade tomato soup on your table that your family will love!
Step by step instructions
This recipe is so simple, let’s dive straight into the details!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice veggies, drizzle oil and salt and pepper.
- Place veggies in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Place roasted vegetables in a soup pot along with the broth and puree with an immersion blender.
- Add spices and butter (ghee if dairy free) and blend again. Place the stove on medium/low heat and reduce for about 20-30 minutes.
- Your soup will reduce and become more thick. Next add basil and cream (coconut milk if dairy free) and blend one final time to have a velvet Tomato Soup.
In no time flat, you will have a creamy tomato basil soup that your family will enjoy!
Tips for success
- I find that an immersion blender is the easiest thing to use. It is a great tool to have in the kitchen. If you do not have one you can transfer the soup to a blender and back to the soup pot to simmer.
- This soup reheats very easily and even tastes better the next day. Just place soup in a small pot and reheat on medium heat until it has been warmed all the way through.
- How to store/freeze – according to the USDA soup can be stored for 3-4 days in the fridge. You can also freeze any leftovers, but I doubt you will have any 🙂
Fresh tomatoes are always the best for this soup, but if you don’t have access to them, then try using high quality canned roasted tomatoes.
- If you are using canned tomatoes, make sure you roast your onions and garlic. Once they are finished roasting add the canned tomatoes to the soup pot with your broth and then blend.
Coconut milk and ghee can be used instead of heavy cream for a vegan option.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through or microwave for 60-90 seconds.
If you like this recipe for tomato soup, try our other soup recipes!
Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world and please make sure you pin this recipe and follow along my other social media outlets for the latest recipes.
Tomato Soup Recipe
- Emersion Blender
- Soup pot
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 3 lbs. Fresh tomatoes use a mixture of different kinds
- 3 small Onions
- 8 cloves Garlic peeled
- 3 cups Bone broth or bone stock
- 4 tablespoons Ghee or butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream use coconut milk for Vegan
- 1.5 teaspoons Black pepper divided
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt divided
- 10 Basil leaves roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes and onions into quarters. Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle oil of olive oil over the veggies. Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted veggies into a soup pot along with your broth and 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper and blend with the emersion blender. Place the stove on medium/low heat and reduce for 20-30 minutes.
- Next add fresh chopped basil and butter (ghee if dairy free). Use the emersion blender to puree the basil and butter until smooth.
- Add the cream (coconut milk if dairy free) and stir to combine. Serve hot!
Coty pirro says
Does this freeze well?
Kelly Rodrigue says
yes it does.:)
Bobbie Swistak says
This is a family favorite ! The ultimate comfort food ! This has become the tomato soup we all crave and Love ! It’s easy to make which is a big plus !
Kelly Rodrigue says
I just love it!! So happy your family loves it!
Jamie klein says
This soup is DELICIOUS and paired with her gluten free bread….yum yum yummy.
Kelly Rodrigue says
I am so glad you like it! Makes my day 🙂