This gluten free Grilled Cheese is over the top! Creamy melted Brie, crispy bacon, sweet fig Spread, spicy Dijon, and the crunch of perfectly buttered toast!
The flavors will make your heart, mouth, and soul happy! Oh my, its just delicious!
I promise you will love this! Try this version of an ultimate gluten free Grilled Cheese and let me know if this just does not make you happy and fulfill all your sandwich dreams! 🙂
Tomato Soup was on the evening dinner rotation in my house. My kids love to dunk grilled cheese in tomato soup but I wanted to step it up for the adults.
I wanted a non-complicated recipe that made my family’s mouth water.
That is when this grilled cheese was born. The best was when we sat down for dinner and my kids looked at our sandwiches and said “Whoa, this is fancy” and didn’t speak for a few solid minutes! 🙂
Needless to say this sandwich has stuck around and been a hit. It has become a regular requested lunch and dinner.
I dare someone to take one 1 bite! It just isn’t possible.
If you are having a diary free version make sure you check out the Tips for success section.
Step by step instructions
- In a saute pan, cook 2-3 slices of bacon. Set aside.
- Take 2 slices of gluten free bread, smear the fig spread on both pieces.
- Add spicy mustard or dijon to one side of the bread.
- Slice brie and place brie on the bread.
- Take your bacon and put it on top of the brie.
- Place the second piece of bread on top of the bacon.
- Heat a skillet on medium/low heat. Take ghee (butter) and smear the top of the bread. Place that face down on your skillet. Now put ghee (butter) on the top of the second piece. Toast bread until a golden brown. Usually 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the bread and toast the other side til golden brown and your brie has melted. Usually 3-4 minutes.
- Serve nice, hot, and melted cheesy goodness.
Tips for success
- Make sure you start with a good gluten free bread. Not all breads are made the same. My favorite brand is Canyon Bread. (You can even get a coupon on that site.) It makes for the perfect sandwich.
- If you are using the same skillet for the bacon and grilled cheese, make sure you remove the grease. You do not want a soggy grilled cheese sandwich.
- This is not the time to skip on the ghee (butter)! Make sure that crust is nice, golden, and lightly crunchy. The perfect, toasted sandwich crust!
- If Brie is not your favorite type of cheese you can substitute it with another kind.
- Kite Hill has some great flavored cream cheese which would make this dairy free also! I like the Chive flavor.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Grilled cheese is best enjoyed right away but you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a skillet or toaster oven.
Check out some of my other recipes:
I hope you enjoyed this grilled cheese! If you have tried it please leave me a comment below.
Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Saute Pan
- 2 slices Bread
- 3 slices Brie cheese
- 2 slices Bacon
- 2 tablespoons Fig spread
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Butter)
- In a saute pan, cook your bacon to desired crispness and set aside.
- Smear your fig spread on 2 slices of bread. Then add dijon mustard to one side.
- Slice your brie cheese and add it on top of the fig spread. Place bacon on top of the brie and take your other piece of bread and place the fig side down on top of the bacon.
- Preheat skillet to medium, low heat. Add ghee(butter) to the top of the bread and place buttered side down on the skillet. Butter the other side. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich and toast the other side. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Serve nice, hot and bubbly!
- If you are using the same skillet for bacon and the grilled cheese, make sure to wipe up the bacon grease. You do not want a soggy sandwich.
- If you are making this diary free, place several spoonfuls of dairy free chive cream cheese on the bread. Kite Hill has some great options and most chain grocery stores carry this brand.