Instant Pot BBQ Chicken will absolutely knock your socks off!
Fall apart tender chicken, roasted peppers and onions, and a perfect smokey, sweet BBQ sauce. Oh, my Texas roots are calling my name!
This Instant Pot BBQ is perfect on salads, wraps, sandwiches, and even nachos. It is also fantastic just piled high on a plate with fresh guacamole and sprinkled with cilantro. It doesn’t get any better then that!
This dish is made with chicken thighs and makes the best pulled chicken BBQ. It will just shred and become so tender. Pair this Instant Pot BBQ with the right veggies and spices and your dinner is pure perfection!
I sometimes struggle on what to feed the family for dinner. This is my easy, go to meal. Plus it provides great leftovers. This simple meal keeps on giving! Pressure cookers are just the way to go! What did we do before them?
You probably already have these ingredients in your fridge or pantry to make this delicious Instant Pot BBQ Chicken! So let’s get started!
Step by step instructions
- First, chop you peppers and onions and set aside.
- Next add juice or water to your instant pot. Add chicken thighs to the pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure the button of the top is in the Sealed Position. Press the Manuel button for 18 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat your stovetop to medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and place your onions and pepper in the pan. Cook until nice and soft, then increase your heat to medium/high. We want to “roast” our veggies. We want to put a nice sear on them. You will cook these for an additional 5-8 minutes. Continue to stir while cooking. Set aside.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished cooking, push the button on the top of the lid to the venting position. Release pressure. Once it has finished releasing pressure, remove the chicken from the pot. Drain (dump) the liquid. This just makes the BBQ runny. Place chicken back in the pot. Shred the chicken.
- Add the veggies, spices, and BBQ to the chicken and mix until it is all combined.
- Serve warm and enjoy that beautiful pot of Pulled Chicken BBQ!!
Tips for success
- I find that using your mixer is the easiest way to shred chicken. Place beaters in the bowl and place on a low speed. It will shred your chicken in seconds. If you do not have a mixer you can shred with 2 forks.
- If I have orange juice in the house, I like to put that in the pot instead of water. It gives it a nice extra flavor to the chicken.
- I do not like runny BBQ! I do not want sauce running down my hands if I am having a burrito or wrap. Removing the liquid from the Instant Pot does not dry out your chicken because we are adding spices and BBQ sauce later.
- I also wait to add the seasoning so we aren’t dumping the spices and seasoning with the water.
- My favorite BBQ sauce is Bone Suckin Sauce. It has ingredients I can pronounce and not a crazy amount of sugar and carbs. You can use whatever sauce you and your family enjoy!
- You can use chicken breasts in this recipe, I just prefer chicken thighs because they are more tender in my opinion.
What to serve with BBQ
- I love to serve steamed green beans and roasted sweet potatoes.
- Instant Pot Rice is always a great option.
- If you are making BBQ sandwiches, Canyon Buns is our favorite gluten free bun.
- If you are having a wrap or BBQ quesadillas, Siesta tortillas are a must! Their taco shells are fantastic also!
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through or microwave for 60-90 seconds.
FREEZER OPTIONS: You can freeze Instant Pot BBQ Chicken up to 4 months. Please in a storage bag and get as much air out as possible. I like to use my Super Saver for this. This will keep your meats and dishes fresh and no freezer burn for months.
REHEAT FROM THE FREEZER: Remove freezer bag from the freezer. Place bag in a bowl of cold water. Once defrosted you can reheat on medium heat until it is warmed through or microwave for 60-90 seconds.
I hope you liked my version of Instant Pot BBQ Chicken. If you have tried this recipe please leave me a comment and review below.
Check out some of my other entree options:
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant pot
- 2 pounds Chicken thighs
- 12 ounces BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup Water (water or orange juice)
- 1 Green pepper large
- 1 Red pepper large
- 1 Onion large
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Slice your onions and peppers into small pieces and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup of liquid to the bottom of your Instant Pot. (I like to add orange juice, if not just add water). Place chicken in the instant pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Make sure the button on the top of the Instant Pot lid is on the Sealing Position. Press the Manuel Button and adjust to 18 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Place onions and peppers in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until soft. Increase the temperature to medium/high heat because we want to put a nice sear and "roast" them. Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently. We want the look of "fire roasted" veggies. Set aside when finished cooking.
- The Instant Pot will beep when it has finished cooking. Place the knob (on the top of the lid) to the venting position. Let the pot release all the pressure before removing the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place in a bowl. Dump the liquid from the pot. Place chicken back in the Instant Pot. Shred the chicken. Add all the seasonings, peppers, onions, and BBQ sauce and stir til everything is combined. Serve right away.