Instant Pot Chicken Soup is just comfort food to the soul. The pressure cooker makes this long time family favorite so easy and quick to make.
Rich broth, soft veggies, fresh herbs and tender fall apart chicken make this soup divine.
This comfort and nourishing meal has some “secret” ingredients that takes ordinary Instant Pot Chicken Soup and makes it taste extraordinary.
What is that you ask? Well fresh sage and grated ginger put a zing to your soup and gives it a fresh, delicious finish. Just trust me on this one!
My soup has been evolving over the years and I truly believe it is perfected!
Who doesn’t love an Instant meal? Simple and easy even on those busy weeknight dinners. One pot meals are just the best!
Why? Because it is easy, quick and tastes like you have slaved for hours! You are welcome 🙂
Instant Pot Chicken Soup can made in so many different ways. Chicken and wild rice soup, chicken tortilla soup and the list goes on. But I just love this simple version of a classic dish. This soup recipe uses bone-in chicken (combination or chicken breasts and drumsticks) because it creates a rich healthy bone broth! You WILL be able to taste the difference.
A one pot meal is always a win in my book. About 10-15 minutes of prep and you can sit back and let the Instant Pot do its thing.
This homemade version of Instant Pot Chicken Soup is gluten free, paleo and low carb. Which means you can save those carbs for the roasted garlic bread that we love. Remember it’s all about balance in our house 🙂
Step by step instructions
This recipe is simple and quick, it basically a chop, shred, and press a button kind of meal.
- Slice carrots, celery, and chop the herbs.
- Place carrots, celery, sage, and parsley in the Instant Pot. Then grate ginger and garlic over the pot.
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot, add water (or broth), salt and pepper. (I like to use a soup sock, it makes it so easy to remove the chicken later, this is optional)
- Close, seal the lid on the Instant Pot . Make sure you place the button on the top to the sealed position. Hit the poultry setting.
- Once the soup beeps that it is finished, release the pressure. Turn the knob to the venting position and let it completely depressurize. Remove the chicken from the soup. Remove skin and bones and shred the chicken.
- Place the chicken back in the soup and enjoy!
In about 40 minutes, you will have a soup that tastes like it has been simmering all day long!
Tips for success
- You can use a garlic press for the garlic if you do not have a zester, the ginger can also be minced.
- This recipe can use water, chicken broth or a mixture of both. I had a little left over bone broth so I mixed it with the water. It will just add additional flavor to your soup.
- Make sure you are using bone-in chicken. I get a family pack that has chicken breasts and legs. This will make a rich bone broth for the soup.
- You can put all your chicken in a soup sock. I find these on amazon. It will be easy to pull all the chicken out at once.
We are a soup family, if you love some good classic soups, you should try my Instant Pot Veggie Soup and Instant Pot Potato Soup. Your gang will like those also.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Instant Pot Chicken Soup also serves a lot. If you have a big family this is perfect. My family of 4 can eat this for a few nights, which makes me dance! Hello leftovers. You can reheat or freeze this soup.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through or microwave for 60-90 seconds.
FREEZER OPTION: You can place leftover chicken in glass jars. Make sure the soup has cooled and is no longer hot. (You do not want to break the glass from hot to cold in the freezer.) Fill 3/4 of the jar. Secure the jar with a lid. Place and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
REHEATING FREEZER OPTION: Place the glass jar in cold water, standing upright in the bowl. Once defrosted, put the soup in a sauce pan and reheat until desired temperature.
I hope you have enjoyed my version of Instant Pot Chicken Soup. If you have made this soup, please leave me a comment below.
Please check out some of my other recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Instant pot
- 2 Bone In Chicken breasts
- 4 Chicken legs
- 2 cups Chopped carrots
- 2 cups Chopped celery
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 inch Piece fresh ginger grated
- 1/3 cup Fresh parsley packed and chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh sage chopped
- 1 tablespoon Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 6 cups Water filtered
- Chop carrots celery, parsley, and sage add them to the instant pot. Grate garlic and ginger over into the pot.
- Add the family pack of chicken (breasts and legs onto the veggies), sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken and add water (or both for extra flavor). Place the lip on the Instant Pot and make sure the button on the top in on the sealed position. Then hit the poultry button.
- Once it is done, push the button on the top to the venting position to release the pressure. Once all the pressure has released, remove the lid. Then remove chicken from the pot. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Use 2 forks and shred the chicken. Place shredded chicken back into the pot and stir. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply