This gluten free Instant Pot Potato Soup is rich, creamy, smooth, and tastes like it has been cooking and simmering for hours.
This soup is a delicious, soul comforting meal. Incredible flavors with all the tastes and feels of a loaded baked potato.
Potatoes, bacon, chicken bone broth, cheese and some spices, how could you not fall in love with this divine dish?!
A few simple ingredients, a 10 minute prep time and you can make an amazing, quick gluten free Instant Pot Potato Soup! Pressure cookers are the way to cook these days. It will simplify the busiest of days.
I also have a DAIRY FREE option!
The yukon gold potatoes make this soup so easy! No peeling required! Yes you read that right, no peeling!! No one will ever know. I personally love the texture and taste of this potato and I find that it just gives it a velvety, smooth finish.
This is a healthier version of the traditional Instant Pot Potato Soup. BUT don’t let the “healthier” scare you! I promise, pinky promise this Instant Pot potato soup is so creamy and is not lacking one bit! My 14 year old “soup snob son” will request this time and time again!
You just get to feel a little less guilty eating it. Don’t worry, I am looking out for you! 🙂
My gluten free Instant Pot Potato soup is so simple, you will wonder why you have not made this before. You can pair this with my Roasted Garlic Butter spread and your carb dreams will come true! Ha!
Let’s be real, every good soup needs some garlic bread to dunk. I think that is in a food rule book somewhere. 🙂
Step by step instructions
- Chop your onion and potatoes into 1 inch cubes, and remove skins on your garlic cloves.
- Put your Instant Pot on sauté mode and cook your bacon, once crispy remove, chop and set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of ghee (butter) in your instant and sauté your onions until slightly brown (about 5 minutes).
- Put potatoes and garlic in the Instant Pot. Add broth, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and marsala. Stir well. Seal your Instant Pot and cook on manual pressure for 22 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps that it is finished cooking, release pressure completely, Remove the lid and blend the cooked veggies with your immersion blender until you have a creamy soup.
- Add heavy cream (full fat coconut milk for diary free) and stir to combine. Place bacon in soup and serve hot!
Tips for success
- Make sure you stir the ingredients before you seal the Instant Pot. You want to make sure nothing sticks to the button. This could cause your pot not to get to full pressure.
- Place immersion blender all the way down to avoid a huge splatter mess. I might be talking from past experiences. 🙂 We like a completely smooth soup. If you and your family like to have some potato chunks do not puree completely.
- We also like to add chopped spring onion and shredded cheese to our soup.
- If you are wanting to add some greens to your dinner (spinach, kale) place 3 cups fresh spinach or kale into the cooked soup and let it wilt and cook for about 3 minutes. It will soften in the hot soup.
- I use Yukon gold potatoes because they have such a thin skin that I do not have to peel the potatoes. One less step!
- Remember you can substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk and this soup is now DAIRY FREE. I like to use the full fat canned coconut milk because it will provide the same rich, smooth texture. You can add some dairy free cheese and your meal is complete!
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through or microwave for 60-90 seconds.
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Potato Soup! Please comment below if you have tried it.
Check out some of my other dishes:
Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
- Instant pot
- Immersion Blender
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 pounds yukon gold potatoes (keep skin on)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion
- 3 gloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream full fat canned coconut milk for dairy free
- 1/4 cup sweet marsala wine optional but highly recommended
- 2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chop your onion and potatoes into 1 inch cubes and pieces and set aside.
- Press the SAUTE mode on the Instant Pot. Add bacon and cook until desired crispness. Chop and set aside.
- Keep the Instant Pot on SAUTE mode and add the ghee (butter) in the Instant Pot along with your chopped onions. Cook onions for 5 minutes, stir during this process.
- Press the CANCEL button to turn off the SAUTE function. Add the potatoes, broth, marsala, salt, pepper, smoked paprika. Stir well.
- Place the lid on and turn the vent to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set timer for 22 minutes. Once the Instant Pot peeps that it is finished cooking, naturally release the pressure by turning the vent to the VENTING position.
- Remove the lid and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth and creamy. Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Stir in bacon. Serve topped with chopped chives and shredded cheese.
- Make sure you blend all the potatoes if you want to have it nice and creamy.
- Before you seal the pot, make sure to stir everything. This will avoid things sticking to the bottom and not getting to full pressure.
- You can substitute the heavy cream for canned full fat coconut milk to make this soup diary free.