This Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash is out of this world! The flavors will make your taste buds soar.
Fresh lemon, herbs, garlic, and onions along with the creaminess of the goat cheese is a perfectly divine dish!
Spaghetti squash is a great pasta alternative, it is such an amazing way to lighten your dish and saves you a ton of calories and carbs compared to traditional pasta. You will not miss the pasta. Pinky promise. 🙂
I know this because my kiddos do not like spaghetti squash BUT they will eat this 100% of the time. They tell me the flavors are just too good. Hallelujah, mom win!!
Spaghetti Squash is so easy to cook! There is no need to slice this apart before you make it. Place the entire thing on a baking sheet and put it in the oven. So simple!
This Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash has the feels and taste of something that would served at a fancy restaurant! BUT you are going to enjoy it at home for a heck of a lot less money!
Do you need a DAIRY VERSION? Check out the Tips For Success section. I will give you an option there.
Simple, easy, and a delicious side dish. I am sold, are you? I sure hope so! Let’s get started and make this lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash.
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, place the squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Chop your onion into small pieces, place oil in the skillet. Saute onion and garlic until brown.
- Add garlic butter, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Stir until the better melts about 2 minutes.
- Add goat cheese and fresh thyme. Stir constantly until you have a “sauce”.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly (5-10 minutes), slice it in half. Remove the seeds and slimy string- like pieces. Then shred the squash with a fork. Place in a separate dish. Add ghee (butter) salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Add your lemon goat cheese sauce to the bowl and mix well to incorporate the sauce.
What to serve with spaghetti squash
This is a perfect side wish along with my Steamed Green Beans and Italian Meatballs, your dinner is complete.
Keeping it vegetarian? Pair with my Roasted Veggies and dinner is also done!
This dish would truly pair well with any of your chicken, beef, seafood, or veggie dishes. I am dreaming of a low carb version of shrimp or chicken primavera!
A Filet Mignon with this Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash. Ok you get this point! 🙂
Tips for success
- DAIRY FREE OPTION: Kite Hill has a great Chive Cream Cheese that would also work with this dish. Click the link to take a look. I find it in most big chain grocery stores.
- The lid on the onions is optional, I like for them to “sweat” and softened a bit. My gang does not like crunchy onions.
- When removing the seeds from the squash, I use scissors to cut the seeds and “string”. It is so simple and makes the process much easier.
- You might need to slightly re-heat your sauce mixture before adding it to the squash. It is much easier to mix when they are both warm.
- You can substitute the thyme for parsley. If you do not have fresh herbs you can use a 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or parsley to the dish.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed through or in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.
I hope you enjoy this Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash. If you have tried the dish, please comment below.
Check out some of my other side dishes:
Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Glass bowl
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons garlic butter
- 1 1/2 whole lemon zested and juiced (one lemon if it is big and has lots of juice)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute until golden brown. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
- Add goat cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest (use a zest grater) and fresh thyme and stir until you have a thick sauce. Cook on low for a 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and slice lengthwise down the squash. (Let the squash cool for about 5 -10 minutes). Remove seeds and "slimy" strings from your spaghetti squash. Shred the squash with a fork and place in a glass container. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee (butter). Add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and mix together.
- Add sauce to the squash and mix well. Serve warm.
- Once the onions have turned a nice brown color, I cover with a lid and reduce the heat and let them “sweat” a little. This helps to take the crunch out of the onion. This will only take a few minutes.
- When removing the seeds, I use scissors to help cut the “strings” and seeds out of the squash. This makes it so easy!
- I use a pot holder to hold the squash while I shred it. It will still be very warm to touch.
- I place the cooked squash in a glass bowl that has a lid (corning ware) and place the lid on. This keeps the squash warm.
- It is easier to mix the sauce and squash when they are both still warm.