This cheesy Mexican Chicken comes together in less then 30 minutes with simple ingredients and mouth watering, mind blowing flavors!
Chicken, peppers, corn, salsa, cheese and simple spices make this dinner healthy, easy, quick and so good!!
It’s Taco Tuesday but I don’t have any tacos, so it’s Mexican Chicken night! 🙂 Next best thing! It’s a clean and scrap the pan, delicious dish! It is just bursting with flavor.
It can be a challenge to find a quick and healthy meal that everyone will enjoy. But, no worries, you have found the right blog and the right dish! Ha! 🙂
One pan meals are the best on those crazy week nights. You will love this meal because it is quick, easy and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, or a lot of pans.
Which is always a win in my book and my wallet!
Mexican Chicken has the all traditional Mexican flavors. This dish is perfect for tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, enchiladas and even salads.
This is a gluten free dish that can be made Paleo, Dairy Free or Keto. Check out the Tips for Success to find the variations.
I think I have just about everyone covered on this meal, so give this delicious Mexican Chicken dish a try! Let’s get started!
Step by step instructions
- Place chicken breasts or thighs on parchment paper. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Next add cassava flour to a bowl (use finely ground almond flour if you are low carb).
- Then add a teaspoon of oil to your pan on medium heat. Put peppers and corn in the pan. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Cook until nice and golden (omit corn for low carb). Remove from the pan and put in a bowl for later.
- Take each piece of chicken and coat with the cassava flour (almond flour for low carb). Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan on medium meat. Add chicken to the pan.
- Sear the chicken for 2 minutes. Flip the chicken and sear for another 2 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and add salsa and cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken over again and add the peppers and corn back to the pan. Cook for 4 additional minutes.
- Turn the stove off and add cheese to the top of the chicken.
- Place a lid on top to keep the heat in and to melt the cheese.
- The watery part of the salsa will reduce and you are left with a nice thick sauce.
What to serve with Mexican Chicken
Top this dish with sour cream or greek yogurt, avocados or guacamole, and a squeeze of lime. You will feel like you are sitting on a beach in Mexico with a drink in hand. Ha!
Wrap it up in a tortilla for an amazing chicken burrito! If you’re on a low carb diet, look for the low carb wraps in the tortilla aisle.
Pan seared cauliflower rice with some taco seasoning make this a great low carb Mexican dinner option (minus the corn, of course).
The sliced chicken is perfect served over fresh spinach or greens for a Mexican Salad.
Whip up a quick batch of Instant Pot Rice , jazzed up with a little taco seasoning and top with sliced Mexican Chicken.
Tips for success
I used thin chicken breast and thighs in this dish. If you are using thick chicken breasts you will need to adjust your cooking time (instead of 12 total minutes of cooking, you will adjust to 16-18 minutes total time of cooking).
Make sure your internal temperature is 165 degrees. You can use a meat thermometer to check if the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Instead of using Cassava flour to bread the chicken you can use finely ground almond flour or no “breading” at all. Also, do not add corn to the dish. The salsa I used on this chicken had 3 carbs per serving.
- Omit the corn and shredded cheese. Top with almond milk cream cheese instead or use a dairy free shredded cheese.
Dairy free Option:
- Use a dairy free shredded cheese.
My favorite Paleo, Gluten Free tortilla is Siesta Almond Flour Tortillas. They are so good! This is perfect if you decide to take this chicken dish and make burritos.
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat in the microwave: Use a microwave safe dish and reheat for about 60-90 seconds.
- To reheat on the stove: Use a skillet and reheat on medium/low heat until nice and warm.
I hope you liked my version of Mexican Chicken. If you have tried the recipe please rate and leave me a comment below. Thanks!
Please try out some of my other easy recipes:
Mexican Chicken Recipe
- 1.5 pounds Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 2 cups Salsa
- 1 cup diced peppers (Green, red, yellow or whatever you prefer)
- 1 cup corn (omit for paleo and keto lifestyle)
- 3/4 cup Shredded cheese (omit if you are Paleo, substitute with almond milk cheese)
- 1/3 cup Cassava flour (use finely ground almond flour for Keto)
- 2 tablespoons Oil (for chicken)
- 1 teaspoon oil (for veggies)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt (Divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon Pepper (Divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic powder (Divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon Onion powder (Divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika (Divided)
- First chop your peppers into small pieces. I used a mix of different colors.
- Put chicken on parchment paper and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika. Set aside.
- Place skillet on medium heat, add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan, place peppers and corn into the skillet. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cook until nice and golden with a slight char. About 5 minutes. Once finished cooking, remove from the skillet and place in a bowl for later.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan. In a bowl add 1/3 cup cassava flour (almond flour for Keto). Place the chicken in the flour and coat. Add to the pan and cook/sear for 2 minutes PER SIDE.
- After cooking a total of 4 minutes, add salsa to the dish. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and add peppers and corn to the dish. Cook an additional 4 minutes. Top chicken with cheese after cooking and place lid over the top to melt the cheese. Serve right away!