Looking for a new, healthy side dish that literally goes with every entree? Look no further. These Steamed Green Beans will have everyone asking for seconds.
Steamed to perfection, full of flavor and they cook in 9 minutes. What is there not to love!
Fresh steamed green beans, ghee (butter), salt and some crispy bacon to finish off this delicious vegetable dish.
Healthy, low carb, gluten free, Paleo, and Keto. All the lifestyles are included in this recipe!
These steamed green beans are simple and yummy! I had a fresh, big bowl of them on the counter. I walked away for about 10 minutes. When I came back there were 3 lonely beans in the bowl!
What happened? I had 3 teenage boys who happened to wander downstairs. My son told his friends to try them and the rest is history.
Instead of snacking on chips, these boys downed my entire side dish of Steamed Green Beans before dinner. If that isn’t an endorsement for this side dish, I don’t know what else will sell you!
These are so simple and they cook up in about 9-10 minutes and take only 3 ingredients. Well if you want the bacon, that is purely optional 🙂
I prefer the skinny haricot greens beans the best. They all cook the same but there is just something about this type that I like. I usually get mine at Trader Joes or Costco.
Alright, lets whip up some Steamed Green Beans for dinner!
Step by step instructions
- Place 6 pieces of bacon in a skillet and cook until crisp (Skip this first step in you are not using bacon).
- Fill a large soup about half way with water, bring the water to a boil.
- Put green beans in the boiling water, put the lid on the pot and let them simmer in the bowling water for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove them from the pot.
- Place half the green beans in a dish, add ghee (butter) and salt. Then repeat the process with the other half of the green beans.
- Sprinkle bacon on top of the dish and serve immediately.
Tips for success
- Make sure your water has come to a soft boil.
- If you have a steamer basket that will also work. Place enough water to cover your steamer basket (about an inch). Bring to a soft boil and steam for 9 minutes.
- I layer the green beans we they are finished cooking. Take half of the green beans out of the pot and add ghee (butter) and salt, then take the other half and do the same thing. You want every green bean to have some butter and salt! 🙂 Live your best green bean life! Ha! 🙂
- I found this to be much easier. It is not such a mess trying to flip and mix all the salt and ghee (butter) all around.
I think fresh green beans taste better than canned green beans, especially when you can have them on the table quick. That is a win in my book! Check out this article on fresh vs. canned green beans.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stovetop until warmed through or in the microwave for up to 90 seconds.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. If you have tried this recipe, please leave me a comment below. Thanks!
Please check out some of my other sides delicious side dishes:
Steamed Green Beans Recipe
- Soup pot with lid
- 12 ounces Fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoon Ghee you can also use butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt adjust to your taste
- 6 pieces Bacon optional
- If using bacon, cook 6 pieces of bacon until crispy. Set aside
- Fill soup pot half way and bring to a boil
- Add green beans and cover with a lid. Cook for 9-10 minutes
- Take tongs and remove half the green beans. Place in a glass dish and add 1 tablespoon of ghee and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Repeat that step with the other half of the green beans.
- Sprinkle bacon on top and serve hot.