This sweet and savory Sweet Shallot Chicken dish is flavor perfection. An easy dinner with simple ingredients.
Caramelized shallots and garlic, fresh herbs, and a savory sauce make this dish divine. All your taste buds will be in high alert with this chicken dinner.
This dish is bursting with flavors. The sweet and savory in this skillet meal is pure perfection. A pan seared chicken with a saucy glaze that is heaven!
What is my favorite part? Simple, quick, and easy! The motto to my dinner life. It truly does not take alot of time to have a fabulous meal.
When a dish that is packed full of flavor or looks fancy we call it “restaurant quality” in my family. This Sweet Shallot chicken is definitely restaurant quality!
Sweet Shallot Chicken also makes for the best leftovers. Thinly slice the chicken and serve in your favorite rice bowl or sliced over a beautiful Cesar or garden salad. So many fantastic options.
This dish works great with chicken breast, chicken thighs, or even chicken tenders. Some of my family prefers white meat chicken and some prefer dark. This recipe will work with whatever you and your family prefer. You could even add thin pork chops instead of chicken.
Alright let’s get to cooking this fabulous and delicious Sweet Shallot Chicken.
Step by step instructions
- In a glass bowl add chicken broth, marsala, ghee (butter), coconut sugar, and fresh rosemary and set aside.
- Slice and chop your shallots into small pieces.
- Place your saucepan on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee to the pan. Add shallots and sauté until tender. About 5 minutes. Grate or press fresh garlic into the pan. Cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Place warm shallots and garlic in your glass jar with your sauce ingredients and stir really well.
- Place 2 tablespoons oil in your pan on medium heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook your chicken for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the sauce and stir to get up any bit and pieces from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Cook the chicken 4 minutes per side for a total of 8 minutes. Your sauce will thicken and reduce. You will have a beautiful sweet and savory glaze for your chicken.
- Remove from the pan and spoon the sauce over your chicken. Enjoy your Sweet Shallot Chicken!
Tips for success
- I love to use cassava flour to coat my chicken. Not only does it provide a nice crust to your chicken it also provides as a thickening agent for the sauce. You can find cassava at most stores. I like to use Carrington Farms and I find it at Walmart in the baking isle.
- If you cannot find cassava flour, you can use any gluten free flour. If you don’t care about a crispy crust you can totally leave it out all together. I just love the extra layer and “crunch” of pan seared chicken.
- We tend to use thinner chicken breasts, chicken thighs, and chicken tenders in our house. If you like thicker pieces of meat you will need to adjust your cooking times. Use your meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of your chicken is 165 degrees.
- You can either buy a sweet or dry marsala. Either one will work and I find this in the wine section. The alcohol does cook out.
- If you cannot mind marsala you can use chicken broth instead. I just love the depth of flavor that marsala adds to the dish.
- I LOVE fresh herbs. They are not expensive and they just can make a dish. If you forget or don’t have fresh rosemary you can use dried. Instead of a tablespoon use a teaspoon of dried rosemary.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Microwave: Place chicken on a microwave safe plate and reheat for 60-90 seconds or until the chicken is nice and warm all the way through.
Stovetop (Preferred Method): I like to reheat on the stove because it brings the chicken back to the way we cooked it. The microwave can cause the chicken to become rubbery but I do know it saves on time.
- Place chicken in a skillet on medium heat. Heat for about 5 minutes or until it is nice and warm all the way through.
I hope you have enjoyed my version of Sweet Shallot Chicken. If you have tried this recipe, please leave a comment and review below.
Please check out some of my other easy weeknight meals.
Sweet Shallot Chicken
- 1.25 pounds Chicken
- 1 Large Shallot (1/2 heaping cup)
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Cassava flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine (chicken broth if you do not have marsala)
- 1/4 cup Coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Ghee (butter)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- Slice and chop your shallots into small pieces.
- In a glass jar add chicken broth, marsala, coconut sugar, 2 tablespoons ghee (butter), and fresh rosemary. Stir and set aside.
- Place chicken on parchment paper. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add cassava flour to a bowl. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour.
- Place skillet on medium sheet. Add 1 tablespoon ghee (butter) and chopped shallots to the pan. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add grated garlic to the pan and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove shallots and garlic from the stove and place them in your glass jar with other ingredients and stir really well. The warm onions and garlic will help melt the coconut sugar.
- Place 2 tablespoons oil in your skillet. Add the coated chicken to the pan. Cook each side for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate.
- Pour your sauce into the pan and stir. Add chicken back to the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook and additional 4 minutes. Your sauce will thicken as you cook. Enjoy!