Lemon Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Lemon goat cheese spaghetti squash is a perfect low carb substitute for pasta. A creamy, gluten free and vegetarian dish that everyone will love!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons garlic butter
- 1 1/2 whole lemon zested and juiced (one lemon if it is big and has lots of juice)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons ghee (butter)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes.
Place 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute until golden brown. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
Add goat cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest (use a zest grater) and fresh thyme and stir until you have a thick sauce. Cook on low for a 1-2 minutes.
Remove the squash from the oven and slice lengthwise down the squash. (Let the squash cool for about 5 -10 minutes). Remove seeds and "slimy" strings from your spaghetti squash. Shred the squash with a fork and place in a glass container. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee (butter). Add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and mix together.
Add sauce to the squash and mix well. Serve warm.
- Once the onions have turned a nice brown color, I cover with a lid and reduce the heat and let them "sweat" a little. This helps to take the crunch out of the onion. This will only take a few minutes.
- When removing the seeds, I use scissors to help cut the "strings" and seeds out of the squash. This makes it so easy!
- I use a pot holder to hold the squash while I shred it. It will still be very warm to touch.
- I place the cooked squash in a glass bowl that has a lid (corning ware) and place the lid on. This keeps the squash warm.
- It is easier to mix the sauce and squash when they are both still warm.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 680mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 404IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 1mg