Gluten Free Sausage Gravy
Gluten Free Sausage Gravy is a traditional southern classic. An easy homemade recipe that also has dairy free options. This simple recipe also has gluten free biscuits for a perfect breakfast or brunch gathering.
- 1 pound Ground sausage
- 2 cups Milk (Milk of choice, 2%, coconut milk, almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons Cassava flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Hot pepper flakes
In a skillet on medium heat, place the sausage and break into small pieces. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, smoked paprika, and hot pepper flakes.
Sprinkle cassava flour over the sausage. Continue to cook until the sausage is cooked all the way through.
Add milk to the sauce pan. It will be runny at first. The cassava flour will start to thicken the sauce as it simmers. Keep stirring while it reduces. In a few minutes the gravy will start to thicken, cook an additional minute and then it is ready to serve.
- DAIRY FREE OPTION: You can substitute coconut milk or almond milk for the traditional milk in this recipe.
- If you do not have any cassava flour, you can use corn starch instead. Just use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- I prefer a smokey flavor. If that is not your thing you can also omit the smoked paprika. I like the kick and the smoke it bring to the sausage.
- I used pork sausage in this dish. It did not render a lot of fat. IF the sausage you are using has a lot of grease drippings you might want to drain off some of the excess fat so your gravy is not "greasy".
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 460mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 203IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1mg