Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts
How to cook the best Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts. An easy, simple and healthy recipe. Perfectly pan seared and sautéed with bacon and spices. There is also vegetarian, vegan and dairy free options.
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1/4 cup Goat Cheese (crumbled)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
Place bacon in a skillet on medium heat. Cook the bacon to desired crispness. Remove from the pan and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
Chop brussel sprouts into halves and quarters depending on their size. Half for small ones, quarters for large ones. Remove the tough ends and discard.
Leave a tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan. (If you are not using bacon grease, add a tablespoon of oil to the pan). Place the skillet on medium/high heat. Once the grease/oil is nice and hot (right before the smoke point), add the brussel sprouts to the pan. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir and then let them sit and char (crisp) for 5-8 minutes.
Next stir the brussel sprouts around and then place a lid on top of the pan to let them steam. Cook for 4 minutes. This will soften the insides. Remove the lid, stir and finish cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Add chopped bacon the last minute of cooking too reheat. Add goat cheese or cheese of choice. You can also drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve warm.
- DAIRY FREE OPTIONS: Instead of goat cheese you can use your favorite almond milk cheese or favorite non-dairy soft cheese. I love Kite Hill or Violife Cream Cheese, Feta and Parmesan options.
- Vegetarian Options: Omit the bacon and bacon grease. Substitute with olive or avocado oil. Instead of bacon you can use an organic vegan bacon .
- Vegan Options: Use the links in the dairy free section for non dairy ideas, use the vegan bacon options in the vegetarian section.
- If you have a lot of bacon grease in your pan, you might want to remove some. All you need is a tablespoon of grease or oil.
- Balsamic Glaze is also a wonderful drizzle for these perfect veggies. Once the brussel sprouts are done, drizzle the glaze over the top. It adds a little sweet to your savory bacon and tang of the goat cheese.
- You can use whatever cheese your family likes. Feta, Goat Cheese, Boursin, Parmesan, and Gorgonzola are some ideas that we enjoy!
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 559mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 801IU | Vitamin C: 77mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg