Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes is a simple and delicious baked in the oven side dish. An easy recipe using fresh herbs and made to perfection. You can use red or baby yukon gold potatoes. Gluten and Dairy Free!
- 1.5 pounds Small gold potatoes
- 3 teaspoons Salt DIVIDED
- 1 teaspoon No salt seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme
- 1 Spray Oil
Fill a pot with water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and stir. Boil until fork tender about 25-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the pot and place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Smash the potatoes with the bottom of a glass. Spray the potatoes with olive or avocado oil spray.
Gently flip the potatoes and spray the other side. Sprinkle the no salt seasoning, salt, and onion powder over the potatoes. Add fresh thyme.
Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until they are nice and crispy. Do not flip them while cooking. Remove from the oven and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top. Serve nice and warm!
- I like to use a cooking spray for this recipe. First, I like that is have few calories then oil, since I am coming all those carbs. :) Ha! Second, butter can burn easily in the oven. I want crispy potatoes not burnt potatoes. Avocado Oil is my first choice of cooking oils.
- If you do want to use some butter make sure you also use oil mix in.
- If you can let the potatoes cool after you have smashed them they will get extra crispy.
- I love fresh herbs but if you don't have them on hand, you can use dried thyme. Just use a 1/2 teaspoon instead.
- I find that a lemon juicer is easier than hand squeezing. I don't have to go hunting for lemons seeds. Ha!
- You can use any no salt seasoning you would like. Costco has a no salt seasoning that I prefer. Trader Joes also sells a 21 seasoning that is fantastic. Those seasonings tend to add lots of flavor to dishes since there are so many dried herbs in them.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1170mg | Potassium: 502mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 16IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg